6.26.2008

June 25, 2008


When I told President Carter that I was planning on doing a study abroad in Jerusalem, her said, "Really? Why? If I were you, I think I would do something like Europe." Well, for the second time ever (the first involving teachers quorum, Aaron the brother of Moses, and a golden calf) President Carter, you are mistaken. I am sorry. You see, despite the absolutely horrible array of flights we embarked upon, with the 10 hour leg peaking with a score of about 8.75 on the ridiculous scale when they played a video of a woman doing stretches in her airline seat to give the passengers ideas on how to stay loose during the flight. Why so ridiculous? Besides the obvious, the woman was a midget. Her feet did not even touch the ground of her seat and she was demonstrating stretches that required about 4 feet less of body mass than I actually possess. Anyways, the reason for President Carter's err, wait! ... One more killer story: During the Chicago Airport 4-hour layover, I went numero deuce in a women's restroom on accident. I must have been delirious from the lack of sleep, but I walked right in, took care of business, walked out and while washing my hands, noticed the cleaning lady and thought —odd that they would have a woman cleaning the men's room. I casually smiled at her, noticed the lack of urinals on the way out, then the classic women in a dress symbol and smiled to myself as I walked toward the group not far away thinking, well, I suppose that could have gone worse. Anyways, the point, the reason for the glory of this study abroad: There is a feeling in this land that I just cannot explain. When you see it, it overwhelms you like saran wrap to the face. Seriously, we arrived and we were all just in absolute awe ... we gathered on the main patio overlooking the city right when we arrived and just looked at that city ... it about drove me to tears. You could feel Him. You honestly could. It was like Obi Wan to Han Solo dialogue inside of me, but instead of thinking, "That's not a moon, it's a space station," my insides announced within me, "This is no ordinary place." We all just stared forever until they called us in for dinner. I stayed longer; they had to call me twice. An immense feeling of gratitude and privilege overwhelmed me as I took it all in. In that first instant, things became a little more real for me. All I could do was just stare and in simple and naive childlike wonder, exactly like Macady does, whisper quietly —wow. Ladies and gentleman, fasten your seat belts puhlease, this is gonna be a good one.

8 comments:

Rachel Gillie said...

I am jealous to the extreme and I am touched that you thought of Macady when you were in awe! I can't wait for a picture of your view! Love you & glad you made it safe!

KoperAZ said...

Be sure and say hi to the Allen's for us. They are in our ward here in Mesa. Except now, they are in Jerusalem. Peace out!

McLove said...

As our little friend Missy Higgins put it Rad-e-kul. I wish I could see what you are seeing. Sounds amazing. Have fun out there and enjoy the time as it flies by way to fast........

dani koelliker said...

this letter made me (the only reason) so excited for you to be away again...you write so good it makes me live your experience through you! continue having a blast
-danz

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the illusions to Star Wars and the Beatles, but not the TMI on Chic. airport! Your enthusiasm is bubbling through the pages again and I love it.
RAB

stacykasse said...

Tyler...another wonderful adventure for you to be on. What a great thing you are doing. Take care of you and all the amazing people who will be put in your path.
Stacy from NJ

Holli said...

Wow Ty. I want to see what you're seeing...so jealous. Jason and I really enjoyed your bathroom story too. Keep those coming. (Well, maybe not frequenting womens' restrooms, but, you know what I mean).

Jim Carter said...

Alexander Pope said, "A man should never be ashamed to own he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than he was yesterday." I am much wiser today than before I knew you. I've also learned along the way that a quick, passionate response risks simply perpetuating error. Case in point, given my ignominious appearance in your initial blog, I had outlined a passionate, persuasive defense for my "Europe Study Aboard" position, but just could not get it posted. Then I read through watery eyes your Sunday Sacrament experience, and longed to be passing with you there. I am so very happy for you and the experience you are having. And when you return, let's compare bathroom stories. Remind me to tell you about Lonestar, my at-capactiy bladder, and the woman's totally appropriate observation, "One of the two of us is in the wrong room."